NEW YORK (Jun. 18)
Moroccan and Tunisian authorities have prevented large-scale attacks against Jews in those countries, but street mobs have been allowed in Libya and Egypt to attack Jews, with the official connivance of the two governments, Charles H. Jordan, executive vice-chairman of the Joint Distribution Committee, declared here today.
In Egypt, Mr. Jordan said, some Jews have been sent to internment camps, while street mobs in Libya beat Jews. By contrast, he said, authorities in Morocco and Tunisia had taken “prompt and vigorous” action to protect Jews after the war had broken out in the Middle East. Despite these efforts, however, Mr. Jordan added, two Jews were shot and killed by an Arab in Meknes, Morocco, a week ago.
(From Rabat, Morocco, it was reported that police had confiscated newspapers published in Arabic and in French because they had been waging an anti-Jewish and anti-American campaign.)