Israel Government Taking ‘grave View’ of Expanded Jordanian Attacks

Government sources reportedly took a grave view today of the continuing Jordanian attacks along the Jordan River demarcation line and warned that if Jordan chose to make the Israeli side of the line an arena of battle, that country must be prepared to face the consequences of such a decision. A report on the clashes was made to the Cabinet at its regular meeting today by Gen. Moshe Dayan, the Defense Minister, in a review of Israel’s security situation,

The sources said that protection of lives and property was a cardinal principle of any nation and they noted that Israel had declared previously that quiet must prevail on both sides of its borders. The sources added that it appeared that King Hussein of Jordan was no longer able or willing to restrain aggressive elements in his kingdom. Reports from Jordan, they said, indicated that there was sharp antagonism between the Palestinians and Jordanians in the kingdom, with the former reportedly deriding King Hussein for not acting to “liberate Palestine.” The latter were understood to be accusing the Palestinian elements of being a source of continuing provocations, dragging the kingdom into hostilities with Israel against the wishes of the Jordanians,

(Israel made its third formal protest of the week Friday at the United Nations over the continuing guerrilla intrusions from Jordan and warned that Jordan would be held responsible for the “unprovoked attacks.”)

NEXT STORY