NEW YORK (May. 22)
A Roman Catholic priest warned here today that another "silence," similar to one of which various churches were accused last year in the wake of the Six-Day War, may be building up in connection with the continuing Middle East deadlock. Rev. Edward H. Flannery, assistant to the director of Judaeo-Christian Studies at Seton Hall University, South Orange, N.J., a Catholic institution, spoke at a special meeting of leaders of the Zionist Organization of America attended by more than 1,000 persons from the New York metropolitan area.
He said that "the Gentile and Christian opinion in the United States…appears interested only in the question of boundaries, refugees, Holy Places and the ‘over-reaction of Israel’ to her harassment…It is time for Christians to face the real issues of this grave situation, namely the threat of annihilation of some two and a half million Jews and of a state that has been established by the international community and has been in existence for these last 20 years," Father Flannery said.
Jacques Torczyner, ZOA president, condemned yesterday’s Security Council resolution that called on Israel to rescind its reunification of Jerusalem. "These one-sided actions by the Security Council do not enhance the prestige of that organization which was not able to prevent the Six-Day War," he said. He warned that the United Nations peace envoy Gunnar V. Jarring’s peace mission "is endangered by this partisan action."