TEL AVIV (Aug. 1)
Israeli security sources noted today that there had been an increasing number of incidents along the Israeli-Jordanian cease-fire line, pointing out that during the past week alone there had been 31 such incidents, in which three Israelis were killed and 15 injured. Ten saboteurs were killed and one captured in the clashes. Two Israelis were injured yesterday when their bulldozer hit a mine south of the Dead Sea near the Jordan border. Officials said this was the ninth such incident in the area during July.
A previously captured intruder told investigators today that Jordanians provide cooperation to saboteurs crossing into Israel. He said he had been taken with a group of seven guerrillas from Amman to Karameh, the largest sabotage base in Jordan. From there, he said, the group was taken to Umm Shurt, a much-used crossover point. However, by that time, the Jordanian officer in charge said it was too late to try to cross over and the group was housed in huts for the day. Shortly after midnight, the captive reported, the officer accompanied the seven saboteurs to the river, giving them a code number for use on their return. He also promised covering fire if the group encountered Israelis. However, all seven ran into an Israeli patrol the next day. He was the only survivor, he said.