Menu JTA Search

Blame Security Council Censure for Continuing Attacks from Lebanon

Last month’s Security Council resolution censuring Israel for its Aug. 11 air raid on terrorist bases in Lebanon was blamed by Israeli diplomats today for continued guerrilla attacks from Lebanese soil.

Diplomatic sources said the Kiryat Shemona victims bear witness to the fact that terrorists operating from Lebanese soil have taken license from the Security Council’s resolution to continue their attacks. The sources also referred to a meeting of guerrilla organizations in Cairo which decided to step up operations against Israeli civilians. One diplomat said the Israeli public cannot accept murder from across the border as the natural order of things even if the Security Council remains indifferent to it.

Gideon Rafael, director-general of the Israeli Foreign Ministry, told U.S. Charges d’Affaires Owen Zurhallen today that the Israeli public is growing increasingly impatient over the continued detention by Syria of two Israeli citizens who were aboard the TWA airliner hijacked by Arab commandos last Friday. Mr. Zurhallen said the U.S. was continuing its efforts to secure the release of the two Israelis without delay.

NEXT STORY