TEL AVIV (Jan. 27)
Israel Air Force jets attacked Egyptian military targets on the north shores of the Gulf of Suez today and returned safely to their bases. Israeli planes twice attacked Egyptian positions in the southern section of the Suez Canal zone yesterday. The second attack was launched at 11 p.m. local time. There was no Israeli comment this morning on a claim by Cairo that Egyptian commandos crossed the Sinai peninsula and penetrated almost to the Israeli border in their most far-ranging attack since the June, 1967 war. According to Cairo, the Egyptian raiders attacked an Israeli Army headquarters base near Rafah at the southern end of the Gaza Strip, inflicting heavy casualties and severe damage to equipment. The Egyptians claimed that all their men returned safely.
Several bazooka shells were fired today at Nahal Dikla in the northern Sinai without causing casualties or damage. A military spokesman said a search was under way for the attackers. Two Israeli soldiers were wounded in an exchange of fire along the Suez Canal last night. A Danish tourist lost his left leg yesterday when he stepped on a mine in an old Syrian minefield in the Golan Heights. A companion, Jan Salomonson, ran for help. A military spokesman said Egyptian forces appear to have re-occupied Shadwan island in the Gulf of Suez after it was seized and stripped of its military equipment by Israeli paratroopers last week. The Israelis occupied the uninhabited island for 32 hours. killing 70 Egyptians and taking 60 prisoners. They evacuated it on Friday. According to Israeli sources the Egyptians landed a force of undetermined size on Saturday morning when it was clear that the Israelis had departed. An Israeli spokesman said an Egyptian naval auxiliary craft hit by Israeli bombers in the Gulf of Suez Friday had been ferrying troops and supplies to Shadwan. The boat was disabled and grounded on a reef.