WASHINGTON (May. 31)
Mrs. Max Schenk, president of Hadassah. the Women’s Zionist Organization of America, has signed a contract with the Agency for International Development, implementing a five-year grant for $4,850,000 for Hadassah’s medical work in Israel. The funds, provided for under the Foreign Assistance Act of 1969, will be spent in the United States for the purchase of supplies and equipment to expand facilities devoted to teaching and research at the Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Center In Ein Karem, and at the Hadassah Hospital on Mt. Scopus which had been abandoned in 1948 and was restored to Hadassah in 1967 after the Six-Day War. The $4.85 million grant will contribute substantially to three specific projects: rehabilitation of Mt. Scopus as a 230-bed general hospital to serve Jewish and Arab populations of Jerusalem, the West Bank, the Gaza area, and patients from across the Jordan. The medical personnel will include Arab doctors and nurses both as staff and for training; the Moshe Sharett Institute of Oncology (cancer) will serve about 2,500 patients with the most advanced equipment for diagnosis, treatment and research; expansion of the Ein Karem Medical Center to keep pace with the population increase and to provide seminars, and short refresher courses for doctors from East Jerusalem.