JERUSALEM (Nov. 16)
The Egyptians have committed no further violations of the standstill cease-fire in the Suez Canal zone since the beginning of this month, a military source informed the Jewish Telegraphic Agency today. According to the source “there is no longer any military necessity to add even a single missile” because the Egyptians have already saturated the zone with SAM-3 and SAM-2 missiles and any further installations “would be wasted.” A Foreign Ministry spokesman told the JTA today that even if the Egyptians continued to install missiles in the truce zone, Israel would not be able to complain because the cease-fire extension which went into effect Nov. 6 does not contain a standstill clause. He said the cease-fire now in effect stems from last month’s General Assembly resolution and from the original Security Council resolution of June 19, 1967 which ended the Six-Day War. Neither contained any provisions for a freeze of military strength.