JERUSALEM (Aug. 12)
A mobilization practice involving reserve soldiers from all military units and all areas of the country will be held shortly. Defense Minister Shimon Peres unfolded plans for the practice–intended to test new call-up arrangements–to the Cabinet yesterday. The mobilization will be announced over radio and television and through newspaper ads. It will last 24 hours. The mobilization date was not disclosed.
Peres said overseas ambassadors and the United Nations staff would be informed before the practice so that foreign governments–including Arab governments–would not become alarmed. He also told the ministers of an aproach to him by the chairman of the Israel Students Union and his committee offering to start a campaign to encourage students to volunteer for an extra year of army service as professional soldiers.
The student leaders proposed that such volunteers be guaranteed stipends, job placement priorities, and other benefits awarded by the government last year to students mobilized during and after the war for long stretches–after they finish their additional, voluntary year of service.
The Cabinet instructed the relevant ministers–Education, Defense, Justice, Labor–to examine the offer, and expressed its appreciation at the student leaders’ initiative.