JERUSALEM (Sep. 19)
The Cabinet agreed unanimously yesterday that a parade of veterans of military campaigns dating back to World War I will be the main feature of Israel’s 30th anniversary celebrations on Independence Day next May 11 rather than the full-scale military parade originally planned. The veterans’ march was proposed by Premier Menachem Begin who had earlier favored the military display. He said he was confident the idea would be endorsed by the Knesset.
Cabinet secretary Arye Naor told reporters after the Cabinet meeting that Begin has “his ear to the ground” and realized his earlier proposal for a massive military parade was not well received by the public. The new plans call for contingents of veterans from both World Wars including the Jewish Brigade of World War 11 and Jewish soldiers who fought with the British and other Allied forces, including the Red Army.
The pre-State underground fighting groups–Haganan, Palmach, Etzel (Irgun) and Lehi (Stern group)–will also be represented along with a single contingent representing Israel’s present day defense forces. It was learned that Begin may march at the head of the Etzel column.