Jewish Archive in Hungary
Menu JTA Search

Jewish Archive in Hungary

Download PDF for this date

A Jewish archive established recently in the north Hungarian town of Eger, has become an attraction for visitors, especially tourists from the West. The archive was organized by the Hungarian Chief Rabbi Sandor Scheiber who unearthed birth registers and an ornamental “Chevra” — Jewish community book — dating from 1843.

The “Chevra,” written in Hebrew, establishes the basic rules of conduct for the community. It states that “If a poor traveler becomes ill he has to be cured at the expense of the community.” Another prescribes excommunication from the “holy community” for any person who acts against Jewish law.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund