A 300-year-old synagogue in the former ghetto of Eisenstadt has been rededicated after completion of intensive restoration work financed by the federal and provincial governments. The synagogue in Eisenstadt, a town southeast of Vienna near the border with Hungary, will be part of a larger complex planned to include a Jewish museum and a Judaism research institute. The synagogue was closed in 1938 when Nazi troops invaded Austria. It was used as a dump for firewood during World War 11. Only one worshipper, a Holocaust survivor, is presently left in the city to benefit from the restoration work.