Menu JTA Search

Casualty Figures Listed

The army announced officially today that 214 Israeli soldiers had been killed during the fighting between June 5 and June 15, when the cease-fire came into effect officially.

In addition, 23 soldiers have been listed as missing in addition to a pilot shown on television but whom the International Red Cross has not yet been allowed to visit. There were 1,114 wounded, of whom 76 were seriously hurt.

Major General Moshe Natan, head of the army’s manpower branch, told a press conference here today that the dead and missing included 68 officers and 170 other ranks. The dead included two generals, a colonel, two lieutenant colonels, six majors, 16 captains, 28 first lieutenants and 14 second lieutenants.

Natan said that Israel had taken over 5,000 Palestinian terrorist prisoners, and 149 Syrians, including 16 Syrian officers, most of them pilots.

The terrorists included nationals of Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Austria, Pakistan, Niger, Algeria, Libya, Iran, Kuwait, Bangladesh, Iraq, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Ceylon, Somalia and Mali. The prisoners of war are now being interrogated.

NEXT STORY