JERUSALEM (Aug. 25)
The Cabinet reviewed today the deteriorating security situation in the administered territories, following the murder yesterday of an Israeli in Tulkarem, and the serious wounding of another Israeli in the town of Jenin, in the north of Samaria. A curfew imposed after the attacks in Tulkarem, some 15 miles west of Nablus, and in Jenin, some 20 miles north or Nablus, was lifted for two hours this afternoon to allow local residents to purchase food.
Forty-year-old Andre Aloush of Netanya was buried today after he was shot in the back with a ,38 caliber pistol yesterday morning shortly after he entered a jewelry store in the center of Tulkarem.
Aloush, who had been accompanied into Tulkarem by his wife, brother and sister-in-law, was shot at very close range. He died on his way to the hospital. His assassin disappeared into a crowded street.
In Jenin, four hours later, Uri Ovad of Tiberias was shot three times in the back with a .22 caliber pistol. He was in serious condition with a bullet lodged near his spine. His assailant escaped.
Initial investigation did not show any obvious link between the two attacks. But the Palestine Liberation Organization claimed responsibility for both attacks. The PLO Wafa news agency in Tunis said that two Palestinian combat units killed two Israeli secret service officers.
GROWING PRESSURE FOR MORE SECURITY MEASURES
The Cabinet meeting today took place amid growing public pressure to step up security measures in the territories, including collective punishment, if need be. At least a dozen Israelis have been killed by Arabs in the West Bank within the past year.
Last month, three residents of Afula, in the Jezreel Valley, were killed. The murders at that time increased pressure on the Cabinet to take specific measures to step-up security and to implement the death penalty for terrorist murders.
Instead of dealing with the issue of new legislation to implement the death penalty for terrorist murderers, the Cabinet decided that it will use all existing procedures to combat the growing wave of Arab terrorism, including administrative detention and deportation of those persons who incite anti-Israel violence and others who endanger the security of the state.
RABIN COMES UNDER CRITICISM
But at the Cabinet meeting today, Defense Minister Yitzhak Rabin came under implied criticism for the security situation in the administered territories when former Defense Minister Ariel Sharon asked how many people have been deported, how many homes have been demolished, what actions have been taken against instigators and anti-Israeli organizations in the territories.
Deputy Premier David Levy said entirely new measures must be taken against Arab terror, including capital punishment. This is a continuous war, Levy said, which has now entered a new dimension. The issue of added security measures will be further discussed this week at a session of the 10-member Inner Cabinet. In the meantime, the security forces continued a wide ranging man-hunt for the assailants involved in yesterday’s attacks.