TEL AVIV (Apr. 15)
In the latest round of clashes between Israeli and guerrilla forces in southern Lebanon, several Katyusha rockets were fired into northern Israel from Lebanon on Thursday, causing no casualties or damages.
Israeli military sources said they presumed the attack came from the Shi’ite Iranian-backed Hezbollah organization, which claimed responsibility for a bombing earlier this week that killed three Israeli soldiers on patrol in the south Lebanon security zone.
The rocket attack was thought to be a response to Israeli bombardment of Hezbollah bases Wednesday, in retaliation for the earlier bombing.
As soldiers scoured the western Galilee to pinpoint exactly where a round of rockets landed Thursday morning, another Katyusha salvo was fired midday, with rockets landing in the eastern sector of the security zone.
No damage was caused in the second attack either.
Although military sources said Hezbollah was the primary suspect behind the launchings, it was also thought possible that the rockets were fired near Sidon by Palestinian or Shi’ite guerrillas interested in proving to local residents that Hezbollah is not the only group engaged in the struggle against Israel.
Israeli and allied South Lebanon Army gunners again responded by heavy artillery and mortar barrages against suspected targets north of the security zone.
Six SLA soldiers were wounded by the detonation of a road mine in the eastern sector of the zone Thursday.
The bomb was planted on a track frequently used by Israeli and SLA military patrols.