March 23, 2007 9:00am
Anti-Semitic activities in Canada have risen to their highest level in 25 years, according to a new report.
December 11, 2006 10:00am
Don’t expect many Conservative rabbis in Canada to perform same-sex commitment ceremonies, even with permission from the movement.
September 13, 2006 9:00am
Toronto’s Holy Blossom congregation has become more accepting of Jewish traditions and rituals since its inception 150 years ago.
August 21, 2006 9:00am
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s pro-Israel stance has attracted some high-profile Canadian Jews to join his Conservative Party, defecting from the Liberal party they traditionally supported.
August 15, 2006 9:00am
A magnet for new immigrants from Montreal, Winnipeg, Israel, Russia, South Africa or Argentina, the York Region near Toronto is the fastest growing census division in Canada and boasts one of the fastest-growing Jewish communities in the Diaspora.
July 20, 2006 9:00am
After more than a decade of studied neutrality that Israel supporters felt benefited the Jewish state’s enemies, the Canadian government is displaying the shift in its Middle East policy that it long has talked about.
September 13, 2005 9:00am
Jews in Ontario reacted with shock and indignation to a surprise announcement that the province will no longer support faith-based arbitrations, a blow to the community’s system of rabbinical courts.
August 18, 2005 9:00am
A new institute opening in Israel hopes to boost the study of Jewish genealogy by bringing it into academia.
February 8, 2005 10:00am
A controversial series of Israel-bashing lectures at the University of Toronto may not have attracted many people, but it did manage to attract widespread media coverage that included a tickertape headline on CNN.
February 6, 2005 10:00am
A new book tells the story of the “Fusgeyers,” or Jewish wayfarers who, impoverished and persecuted in Romania, walked across the country in hopes of reaching more hospitable locales abroad.
OpinionWe have seen the future, and it looks Orthodox
- That time Rachel McAdams tried to go undercover as an Orthodox Jew
- How Houston’s synagogues are handling the High Holidays after Harvey
- US campuses are becoming more Israel friendly
- Worried about Jewish pluralism in Israel? So are Israelis.
- Why Obama’s former speechwriter calls him the most Jewish president ever
- Netanyahu says non-Orthodox Jews used Western Wall deal to gain recognition
- Leonard Cohen memorial concert in Montreal to feature Sting, Elvis Costello
- California man sentenced to life in prison for killing Jewish doctor he blamed for botched surgery
- Chabad leaders call for reporting child abuse to secular authorities
- Iran’s president says security for Israel is ‘not possible,’ pleads for nuclear deal