November 29, 2015 3:17pm
“The life breath (the soul) of a human is the lamp of God,” it says in the Book of Proverbs.
March 23, 2015 11:16am
What are the ways that our experience of Passover can shed light onto how we experience transitions in our own lives?
December 11, 2014 5:22pm
Some ideas on how the biblically ordained law on the land can help open up another dimension of Hanukkah.
September 17, 2014 11:23am
The metaphor of God counting our deeds in the book of life during the High Holidays enables us to make our lives count, Dasee Berkowitz writes.
April 7, 2014 3:01pm
The end of the Haggadah, with the promise to arrive “next year in Jerusalem,” is just as ripe for exploration as the beginning.
November 20, 2013 4:49pm
How the specialness of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving can enhance the revelry of both holidays.
August 27, 2013 12:29pm
Cultivating a relationship with God comes easy for children, and they can teach adults — if we only slow down to listen, writes JTA contributing writer Dasee Berkowitz.
March 11, 2013 2:15pm
One of the lessons of Passover is that only within boundaries and structure can we experience true freedom, Dasee Berkowitz writes.
February 11, 2013 7:08pm
Purim is a holiday that isn’t ripe with laws and ritual obligations, but the Scroll of Esther offers a directive for observance that is clear: Jews should make the days “of feasting and joy.”
November 30, 2012 7:14pm
Overcoming our most natural desires and exercising personal restraint is a kind of heroism. At Chanukah, the suggestion here is to dedicate each night to this kind of everyday courage.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Critical profile of Melania Trump unleashes flood of anti-Semitic abuse on reporter
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4