March 17, 2016 2:37pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (JTA) – Argentine President Mauricio Macri said he is “determined” to discover the truth about the death of AMIA prosecutor Alberto Nisman. “Everything that happened made us look weak in the world,” Macri told The Associated Press as part of a long-ranging interview published Thursday. “But now we are determined to bring…
February 17, 2016 8:30am
(JTA) — President Horacio Cartes of Paraguay will be recognized by the World Jewish Congress for what the group said was his “contributions to building coexistence.” Cartes will receive the Shalom Prize, the WJC’s Latin American branch and Cartes’ office both announced Tuesday. The prize, which was established to recognize individuals or organizations who seek…
February 3, 2016 9:10am
(JTA) — Manuel Tenenbaum, who served for three decades as head of the Latin American Jewish Congress, has died. Tenenbaum, who was also an educator and author, died and was buried Tuesday in his native Montevideo, Uruguay. He was 81. In 1978, he was named executive director of the Latin American Jewish Congress, leading the…
November 26, 2015 7:28am
Rabbi Sergio Bergman, who will become minister of environment and sustainable development on Dec. 10, is believed to be the only rabbi serving as a government minister outside of Israel.
November 22, 2015 4:39pm
The new DAIA administration will coincide with the start of a new national government to be empowered following runoff elections.
October 23, 2015 11:49am
Carmen Bretin Lindemann said on television that the historical record on the Nazi war criminal is false, as it was written by Jews.
October 16, 2015 1:43pm
Argentina’s Supreme Court of Justice issued an international arrest warrant against Hussein Mohamad Ibrahim Suleiman in the Israel embassy bombing that killed 22 and injured more than 200.
September 9, 2015 11:41am
Uruguay has granted asylum to five families of Syrian refugees.
August 19, 2015 8:21am
The ministry said the cancellation “challenges the principle of non-discrimination which is the basis for all plural and diverse societies.”
August 6, 2015 3:33pm
With more than 140 witnesses expected to testify, the trial may last more than a year.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Russia to return Israeli tank captured by Syria in 1982
- Historic Jewish wedding in Turkey triggers hate speech online
- Argentine ex-minister’s Iran tape admitted as evidence of alleged treason
- CRIF’s new president: French Jews’ situation worst since 1945
- NJ man who fire-bombed rabbi’s home convicted of terrorism
- Vandalism at 3 New England synagogues aims to intimidate community, ADL regional leader says
- Bernie Sanders: Israel has a right to US protection
- Donald Trump: Debating trailing Bernie Sanders would be ‘inappropriate’
- NY Times editor calls out Donald Trump for ignoring supporters’ anti-Semitic tweets
- Donald Trump says he would debate Bernie Sanders for charity
- Bernie Sanders expects ‘consensus’ on Palestinian rights at Democratic convention
- Democrats said to be debating ouster of Wasserman Schultz as party chair