December 10, 2009 1:12am
The Palestinian Authority prime minister in a meeting with Jewish Council for Public Affairs leaders said he opposed a Palestinian unilateral declaration of statehood.
December 9, 2009 11:30pm
Non-profit and religious groups cannot endorse political candidates, but they are permitted to endorse and lobby for the confirmation of judges and executive branch officials. Many, though, still steer clear of such nomination battles – which was the subject of Tuesday’s “The Pew and the Bench: A Faith Summit on the Federal Judiciary.” Sponsored by…
December 9, 2009 10:15pm
For the last few years, Bill O’Reilly has led a crusade against businesses who use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" in their stores and advertisements, arguing that by using a more generic term, those businesses are trying to remove Christmas and religion from the public square. Now, in a odd twist on that controversy,…
December 9, 2009 4:23am
Seventy years after the SS St. Louis was turned away from the United States, the surviving passengers of the ill-fated voyage may be reuniting for the last time near where their chance at freedom was denied.
December 8, 2009 4:08am
The Washington Post splashed the whining about White House Chanukah party invitations on the front page of the Style section Saturday, and speculates that Sarah Silverman could be given an invitation (Mik Moore might be on the list, but Silverman?) Tevi Troy responds to Ira Forman on the Chaunkah controversy. Jonathan Sarna adds some needed…
December 8, 2009 2:23am
A U.S. congressman is the latest to call for a Justice Department investigation into whether a pro-Palestinian group has been raising money on college campuses for Hamas.
December 7, 2009 10:43pm
Twenty-two Jewish organizations signed on to a call for action on climate change to be presented at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen.
December 7, 2009 9:33pm
J Street has endorsed congressional legislation imposing sanctions on Iran’s energy industry.
December 7, 2009 8:53pm
One of the issues that has divided J Street from other pro-Israel groups has been its refusal to back additional sanctions on Iran. That changed Monday, when J Street announced its support for congressional pasage of the Iran Refined Petroleum Act. "J Street has consistently supported President Obama in his efforts to engage Iran diplomatically…
December 5, 2009 12:43am
Are Sarah Palin, John Hagee, and Mike Huckabee are all going to be celebrating Chanukah with J Street? Not really, but the left-wing pro-Israel organization has been sending around an amusing invitation to its Chanukah Gala Happy Hour on Dec. 16 listing those three — all of whom J Street slammed in the past few…
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Spelling bee champ nails obscure Yiddish word en route to victory
- Crash kills three workers at Jewish camp in Pennsylvania
WatchSteven Spielberg, in Harvard commencement speech, says anti-Semitism on the rise
- NY Times removes quotation marks from Israeli ‘occupation’
- Captain America is a secret Nazi, and people are going crazy about it
- Israel is now the land of milk and whiskey
- Bernie Sanders: Israel has a right to US protection
- Donald Trump: Debating trailing Bernie Sanders would be ‘inappropriate’
- NY Times editor calls out Donald Trump for ignoring supporters’ anti-Semitic tweets
- Donald Trump says he would debate Bernie Sanders for charity
- Bernie Sanders expects ‘consensus’ on Palestinian rights at Democratic convention
- Democrats said to be debating ouster of Wasserman Schultz as party chair