Meyer Disengoff, the Mayor of Tel-Aviv, has arrived in New York in order to dispose of the remainder of the municipal bond issue of Â£75,000 which was floated by Bernard A. Rosenblatt, of the Zionist Executive. The issue is in the hands of Harvey Fiske and Sons, Brokers.
Tel Aviv, which was founded in 1908, is the first completely Jewish town in Palestine. In May, 1921, it was declared a separate township with municipal authority. It has an area of 5,000 dunams, a population of 12,00, private property valued at Â£E2,000,000, and municipal property worth Â£E50,000. It was originally intended as a garden suburb of Jaffa, but the constant arrival of fresh immigrants and the annexation of neighboring Jewish quarters had led to its constant growth.
It is now proposed to add a commercial quarter and a tract of land has been acquired on which it is proposed to erect 150 shops, stores, offices, warehouses and bank premises. To carry out these various plans the town meeting has approved a loan of Â£E75,000 for public utility purposes, including sewerage, electricity, water installation, road construction, etc.
The Municipal Bonds of Tel-Aviv have been placed with a firm of brokers in New York for the purpose of raising the loan, and it is to sign the bonda alredy placed that Mr. Disengoff has come to the United States.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.