A resolution providing for a world conference of Jewish women to meet periodically, as a conference, for the discussion of programs and problems affecting Jewish womanhood, was adopted at the close of the Tenth Triennial Convention of the Council of Jewish Women here.
This plan is the outgrowth of the Women’s Council’s reconstruction work of the past three years and of the Jewish Women’s World Conference in Vienna last May. Mrs. Alexander Kohut is Chairman of the committee to promote plans for the calling of the next conference at which the periodic conference program will be made permanent.
Women from several countries will serve on this committee, in addition to Mrs. Nathaniel E. Harris, Chairman of the Committee of Foreign Relations, and Mrs. Estelle M. Sternberger, Executive Secretary. The suggestion has been made that the next conference be held in 1925.
Two prominent visitors to the conference were Mme. Rose Pomerantz-Melzer, only woman member of the Polish Parliament, and Frau Sidonie Werner, Professor of the University of Hamburg, Germany, Both visitors took part in the discussion on the resolutions on the Council’s immigrant aid work.
Cable messages to this convention were received from Jewish women’s organizations in Amsterdam, Vienna, Poland, Switzerland, France and England.
In the absence of Miss Rose Brenner, President, who was unable to attend this triennial gathering, the various sessions were presided over by Mrs. Israel Cowen of Chicago, First Vice-President; Mrs. S. Pisko of Denver, Second Vice President; and Mrs. S. M. Blumauer of Portland, Oregon, Third Vice President.
Miss Rose Brenner of Brooklyn, New York, who has served as president for the triennial periodlf 1920-1923, was re-elected President for another term of three years. Mrs. Estelle M. Stemberger of New York City will again serve as Executive Secretary.
The following were chosen as National Directors for a term of six years: Mrs. Irvin Bettmann of St. Louis, Mrs. S. M. Blumauer of Portland, Mrs. Sylvan R. Livingstone of Richmond, Mrs. Bert H. Printz of Young town, Ohio; and Mrs. Amanda Schlesinger of San Francisco.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.