(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
A controversy over the instruction of modern Hebrew is now holding the attention of the Jewish community of Budapest.
The directors of the Budapest Kehillah have issued instructions prohibiting the continuation of the instruction of modern Hebrew in the Budapest Jewish high school, the only school in Hungary in which. Hebrew was taught. This prohibition caused the protest of the parents, who held a meeting protesting against this decision. A delegation of the parents association appeared before the communal board, declaring that they would withdraw their children from the high school if the prohibition was enforced.
MAX DELPHINER, VIENNESE MANUFACTURER, ARRIVES
Max Delphiner, Viennese manufacturer and owner of the Tel Aviv silk factory, arrived on the North German Lloyd liner Columbus.
With a greatly expanded program of activities, the Student’s House maintained by the United Synagogue of America, opens its building at 523 West 113th Street, New York this week. The Student’s House serves the Jewish students of Columbia, New York University, the College of the City of New York, Barnard and Teachers’ College, Hunter College, the Jewish Theological Seminary and other institutions of learning in the metropolitan district, as a center for social and religious interests. The house is under the supervision of the Women’s League of the United Synagogue. Jacob Freedman is its social director.
Student’s House provides kosher meals at nominal cost. Last year twenty thousand meals were served. One hundred students attended Passover services here. Special celebrations are held of all important Jewish holidays, in addition to daily and Sabbath religious services.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.