The Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies of New York is the greatest community chest in the world, both in point of money spent by its constituent agencies and the number of agencies maintained, according to figures made public yesterday by Sol. M. Stroock, president of the Federation.
Pointing out that the Federation’s 91 constituent societies expend $8.500,000 annually and that of this amount the Federation is called on to raise $4,720,000 from the public this year, the balance coming from trust funds legacies and other sources, Mr. Stroock’s statement gives a detailed report on the various activities of the Federation.
Among the Federation institutions, it is pointed out, are child-caring agencies, vocational education schools, agencies handling delinquent problems, hospitals and medical social service agencies; schools and homes for the physically handicapped; agencies for the relief of the sick and needy, schools for religious education; fresh air camps, community centers and a home for the aged and infirm. Typical of the work done by the relief group, whose budgetary allowance this year by the Federation is $805,274.04, is Mr. Stroock’s explanation of what these institutions are doing this year. His summary follows:
Federation Employment Bureau for Jewish Girls secures employment for about 4,700 girls; also gives 91 scholarships to school boys and girls.
Hebrew Free Loan Society makes about 14,000 loans ranging from $5 to $500; total amount of loans being over $1,000,000.
Jewish Sabbath Alliance secures employment for about 400 individuals observing the Sabbath.
Ladies Fuel and Aid Society provides about 1,000 families with coal and Passover supplies.
National Desertion Bureau, since its inception, has handled over 15,000 family cases, attending to desertion cases and giving some material relief to deserted families.
Jewish Social Service Association takes care of about 4,000 families, comprising about 16,000 individuals; conducts a self-support department; provides vocational guidance for children; and conducts home economics classes.
Widowed Mothers’ Fund Association cares for more than 200 widows, who are unable to support themselves, and their 850 children.
The agencies dealing with the handicapped have a budgetary allowance every year from Federation of $55,388. These institutions and their work are, according to Mr. Stroock’s report:
Crippled Children’s East Side Free School furnishes medical care, educational and special training to 225 children daily; accommodates 135 children daily for a period of ten weeks at the Summer Home.
Institution for Improved Instruction of Deaf Mutes gives instruction and training to an average daily attendance of 235 deaf-mute children.
UNIVERSAL PILGRIMAGE TO PALESTINE PLANNED
The enlistment of the Jewish, Christian and Mohammedan faiths for the purpose of conducting large scale pilgrimages of veneration to Palestine from November 11, 1928 to November 11, 1929, the tenth anniversary year since the declaration of the armistice ending the World War, is planned by the Palestine Chamber of Commerce in New York. This was decided upon at a meeting of the Chamber held in New York last week. An effort to secure the collaboration of Christian and Mohammedan bodies in the United States, Europe and Palestine will be made by a committee appointed for this purpose.
Tentative plans call for marked reductions in steamship transportation by the Mediterranean Conference, American Steamship lines, as well as North European lines. Special facilities on the Egyptian railroads to accommodate tourists will be granted prospective travelers to Palestine. In Palestine special exhibits of the accomplishments of the three major faiths will be staged for the pilgrims.
The opinion is expressed that for the period of this universal pilgrimage, Palestine’s adverse trade balance of thirty million dollars will be wiped out by the disbursements of the many thousands of tourists in excess of the usual seasonal visitors.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.