(Jewish Telegraphic Agency Mail Service)
A step of vital importance for the further development of the rapidly growing Jewish town of Tel Aviv has just been taken by the Colonial Office in London, it is learned here, by its decision to approve the proposed transfer of the Palestine Railway Junction from Ludd to Tel Aviv.
The proposal to make Tel Aviv the center of Palestine’s railway system, which would to a large extent compensate the Tel Aviv and Jaffa district for the decision to build the Palestine harbor at Haifa and not at Jaffa, dates back to the appointment by Sir Herbert Samuel in March, 1925, of a Commission to consider the advisability of transferring the Railway Junction to Tel Aviv from Ludd. The Commission which consisted of the Directors of the various government departments, the mayors of Jaffa and Tel Aviv and the presidents of the Jewish and Arab chambers of commerce of Jaffa and the Tel Aviv chamber of commerce, reported favorably on the proposal. Ludd, which is about ten miles from Tel Aviv is the junction for the Kantara-Haifa and Jaffa-Jerusalem railway lines.
Dr. Nisson Touroff, former head of the Palestine School System, and until recently President of the Hebrew Teachers’ College of Boston, has accepted the Professorship in the Department of Hebrew at the Jewish Institute of Religion, according to an announcement made today by the Acting President of the Institute, Dr. Stephen S. Wise.
Dr. Touroff translated into Hebrew Prof. William James’ “Talks to Teachers,” as well as a great many of the works of the French psychologist, Ribot. For four years, Dr. Touroff was editor of “Hachinuch,” the only magazine in Hebrew devoted entirely to the science of education.
The Young Folks’ League of the East Midwood Jewish Centre of Brooklyn has engaged the Opera House of the Brooklyn Academy of Music for Saturday evening, Nov. 13, at which time it will present Louis N. Parker’s famous play, “Disraeli.”
The proceeds will be donated to the building fund of the new centre which is being constructed at a cost of $500,000.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.