Archive

Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

News Brief

October 24, 1926
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date
Advertisement

(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)

A conference of Jewish physicians in the city of Vilna and representatives of the rabbinate took place yesterday to consider ways and means of solving the question of furnishing Jewish corpses for the clinic of the medical college of the Vilna University.

Several days ago Polish students at the University of Vilna demanded the exclusion of Jewish students from the clinics, giving as a condition for the admission of Jewish students that eight Jewish corpses be furnished, corresponding to the proportion of Jewish students in the medical college.

The conference adopted a resolution by which the chief physician of the Jewish hospital in Vilna is urged to deliver to the clinc the bodies of Jewish dead who are not claimed by relatives. The resolution at the same time emphasizes the fact that the provision of corpses to the clinic has no connection with the religious or national communities of the population.

A new Jewish a capella or unaccompanied male chorus, to be known as “Makehelah,” which is to be a mutual, non-profit sharing alliance of professional musicians, is to be formed.

Besides the necessary vocal equipment, a general college education or an academic Hebrew and liturgical education will be required for admission to this chorus which has headquarters at the Continental Hotel, Broadway and Forty-first Street, New York City.

The temporary administrative board of the organization is composed of Rabbi Joseph Mann, general director; Rabbi Jacob Beumel conductor; Solomon Golub, librarian; Rabbi Jacob S. Mason, secretary; Rabbis A. B. Hertz-son, Kalman Spivach and Abraham Znaida, Cantors Louis Lipitz and Maxwell Zaltsberg and Mssrs. Charles Kaiserman and Moses Weissman, directors.

Recommended from JTA

Advertisement