(Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
A request to the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee to lend financial aid to Polish Jews who emigrate to Palestine was expressed in a resolution adopted by the party council of the Zionist Organization of Poland which closed its sessions here today.
Over 100 delegates from the larger cities and towns in Poland participated in the Council which held its sessions under the chairmanship of Leon Levite. A report submitted to the Council by the chairman expressed the opinion that the economic crisis in Palestine is merely of a temporary nature and that an annual immigration of 40,000 Jews to Palestine is a necessity which could be facilitated if the full cooperation of Polish Jewry is obtained. The 200,000 organized Zionists in the Republic of Poland were urged to resume intensive Zionist activity.
The Council also adopted a number of resolutions concerning the political conditions in Poland. One resolution dealing with the Pilsudski government establishes the fact that “the Jewish population of the Republic of Poland was satisfied with the results of the May revolution.” The resolution goes on to express the hope that the new government will carry out the demands of the Jewish population. It establishes, however, that “unfortunately the hopes of the Jewish population have not been fulfilled so far” and that “if conditions remain unchanged the Club of Jewish Deputies will be compelled to proceed to the opposition against the government.”
The Council also expressed the thanks of the Zionist Organization of Poland to the Polish government for its “understanding of the aspirations of the Jewish people for the establishment of the Jewish National Home in Palestine” which was given expression in the several declarations issued by the previous Polish governments. Emphasis was also laid on the necessity of developing closer commercial relations between Poland and Palestine. Appreciation was given to the government for its decree legalizing the activities of the Zionist Organization in Poland. A split over the internal politics in the Zionist Organization came about between the two competing groups, “Al Ha’mishmar” and “Eth Livnoth.” The working agreement which existed between the two groups collapsed because of the demand of the “Eth Livnoth” for a majority in the Executive Committee.
Mr. and Mrs. Isidore D. Morrison of New York City, tendered a dinner to Dr. Chaim Weizmann, President of the World Zionist Organization, on Tuesday evening.
Among those present were Judge and Mrs. Julian W. Mack, Dr. and Mrs. Stephen S. Wise, Mr. and Mrs. Norvin R. Lindheim, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Lipsky, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel J. Rosensohn, Mr. and Mrs. Abraham L. Liobovitz, Prof. and Mrs. Richard Gottheil and others.
Joseph Caplan, who came from England as a penniless immigrant in 1890, became one of the largest individual real estate owners in Pennsylvania on Monday when he accepted conveyance of the Widener Building at a sale price of $11,000,000.
Built in 1912, the building cost the late P. A. B. Widener, traction operator, more than $8,000,000, of which one-half represented the purchase price of the site. The ground, which formerly was occupied by a mint, cost the government $31,666 in 1829.
Mr. Caplan, who has been a resident of Philadelphia since 1906, is forty-two years old. He was born in London.
Magistrate Moses P. Ryttenberg, sixty-two, died Monday night.
Mr. Ryttenberg was born in Syracuse, educated in the public schools of Baltimore and graduated from Baltimore City College in 1882, receiving the Peabody Prize. He received the degree of bachelor of arts at Johns Hopkins University in 1885. He studied law at the University of Maryland and received the degree of bachelor of laws there in 1888.
He was admitted to the bar of New York State in New York City in 1891, where he had practiced since. In 1899 he was elected to the Assembly, being defeated for the same office in 1898 and 1900.
Mr. Ryttenberg also served in 1916 as an Assistant District Attorney on the staff of District Attorney Swann as head of the Bureau of Commercial Frauds. His term of City Magistrate would have expired in 1932.
He had presided in Tombs Court. Homicide and Traffic Courts, and was on the bench of the West Side Court when illness forced him to apply for a leave of absence.
Magistrate Ryttenberg was former president of the Osceola Democratic Club and an officer in the Jewish Probation Society.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.