(News Letter from Denver)
The Denver Jewish community ushers in 1928 with activity in synagogues, clubs, programs for building and research in national institutions, and plans for the dedication of the new Beth Ha’ Medrosh Hagadol synagogue.
Going over the top with $40,000 collected in Denver as the local quota in the national drive for $125,000 for a new dormitory and hospital improvements, the Denver National Home for Jewish Children concluded a successful campaign the last two weeks in January. This drive followed the Community Chest campaign. The new buildings will make room for the more than 1000 orphans and children of tubercular parents who have been cared for in the building originally planned for 65 children.
The National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives which recently held its annual meeting in New Orleans, La., decided on the perpetuation of the National Jewish Hospital Week as an annual event for the intensification of their campaign all over the United States.
At the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society work is being completed on the Texas infirmary for women, which will house 55 persons. This will probably be ready for occupancy and dedication sometime during the summer.
The hospital is now running under the direction of the new supervisor. Dr. Herman Schwatt, recently of the Mt. Fiore Home, New York.
THE NEWEST HOSPITAL
At the Ex-Patients’ Home, the newest of the national hospitals, organization of the industrial department for the patients’ manufacture of fancy leather goods has been completed, and an extra five acres of land has been purchased preparatory to an expansion program.
The thirty-first anniversary of the Beth Ha’Medrosh Hagadol synagogue will be celebrated at Passover by a congregation dinner. The dedication of the synagogue will take place later, probably in June. The Purim carnival of the synagogue will be opened by Governor William Adams of Colorado, Rabbi C. H. Kauvar is the rabbi of the congregation.
Rabbi I. Gerstein, who came to Denver recently, was formally installed in the pulpit of the Oheb Zadek congregation the first week in February. Rabbi Kauvar made the principal address, other Denver rabbis participated in the ceremonies, in addition to Rabbi Solomon Shaperio of Chicago. Rabbi Gerstein is a native of Poland.
The Brotherhood of Temple Emanuel has recently decided to raise an annual quota for the Union of Hebrew Congregations. Temple Emanuel now has a membership of 500, the largest since its inception.
The Central Jewish Aid Society has released a report giving a record of contact with 500 persons a month. Nathan Rothschild, president, has called the annual meeting for this month. He will probably be succeeded in the chair by Edward Wittelshofer, who is now first vice-president.
Beth Israel Hospital is now under the supervision of Dr. Samuel S. Golden, and will undergo a reorganization in the near future.
THE GULDMAN COMMUNITY CENTER
The Louise Guldman Community Center, a Denver Community Chest agency, is under the direction of Bernard Cohen, who is reorganizing the work. He hopes to install a child psychology course for the volunteer workers who head the various classes and clubs for the children who attend the Center.
The Council of Jewish Women, which has a membership of more than 600, reports a continuation of charitable work for this year. Thirty-seven different committees care for work among the children in the preventorium at the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives, the Denver National Home for Jewish Children, the Louise Guldman Community Center, and the Jewish hospitals. Periodically they provide for parties and picnics for the children.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.