Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Women’s Council to Move Headquarters Because of Exodus from East Side

February 21, 1928
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

Because East Side dwellers are moving to the Bronx, the New York section of the National Council of Jewish Women opened a drive on Sunday for $250,000 to transfer its headquarters from 74 St. Marks Place to 1122 Forest Avenue, the Bronx, where a modern community house will be erected.

In five years, it was pointed out, the East Side’s population has decreased 87,000. From 1922 to 1928. the district bounded by Broadway, the Bowery, Canal and Bleecker Streets had shown a decrease in apartments from 7,809 to 7,259; the number of children under two years of age had fallen from 1,961 to 854, and vacant apartments had increased from 269 to 1,315.

Mrs. Ira Leo Bamberger, treasurer of the building fund, announced the following subscriptions: Mrs. Jacob H. Schiff, $15,000; Mr. and Mrs. Felix Warburg and the Altman Foundation, $10,000 each; Mrs. Nathan Straus jr., Mrs. Nathan Fried, Judge and Mrs. Irving Lehman, Mrs. Jacob Wertheim and Mortimer Schiff, $5,000 each.

Recommended from JTA