The new clinical building of the Leo N. Levi Memorial hospital, to be known as the Charles Steinberg Clinic, was opened to patients last Monday. The new clinic is a one-story brick building, connecting the hospital proper and the Nurses’ home, and was recently completed and equipped at a cost of $40,000.
This new building was made possible through the generosity of Louis Steinberg, of St. Louis, and will commemorate his father, whose name it will bear.
The clinic is modern in every respect, being fully equipped. It contains eleven clinics, including eye, ear, nose and throat, as well as a dental clinic, and will be of service to the hundreds of indigents needing the various treatments.
The formal dedication will not be held until the middle of February, but an informal opening program was given at the opening of the clinic. Rabbi A. B. Rhine delivered the invocation and brief addresses were delivered by Archibald Marx, of New Orleans, president of the hospital association, and J. N. Hexter, of Dallas, and Judge A. B. Frey, of St. Louis, members of the executive committee of the Levi hospital association.
The Leo N. Levi Memorial Hospital was erected in Hot Springs to care for the many sick persons who come without any means. The Leo N. Levi Memorial Hospital is absolutely free, dedicated solely to those who are without means, and admits no pay patients. It is a modern, fire-proof building, fully equipped with a laboratory it is provided with a bath house which is supplied with the hot waters from the famous government-owned hot springs; and thus has the special advantage of a hydro-therapy service which is of great benefit in certain diseases. The Hospital has a capacity of fifty beds, and is recognized as a “Class A” institution by the American College of Surgeons.
The Leo N. Levi Memorial Hospital maintains also the Charles Steinberg Clinic, which, during the past year, took care of 1,607 patients, whose visits totaled 9,007. In the Hospital proper, 747 patients were treated during the year.
The cost of maintenance is about $60,000 per year. The Independent Order of B’nai B’rith contributes about 40% of the maintenance; the balance is derived from charity organizations and individuals.
The Leo N. Levi Memorial Hospital is non-sectarian in its service. Since the Hospital opened its doors, on November 1st, 1914, more than 30,000 persons coming from every section of the country, were treated in its wards and clinics free of charge.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.