The American Advisory Committee of the Hebrew Universtiy announced a gift of $5,000 from Temple Emanu-El, New York, through its President, Mr. Louis Marshall. This gilt will be used for synagogue excavations by the Archeological Department of the Hebrew University. Under the leadership of Dr. L. Sukenik, Field Archaeologist, the remains of a synagogue dating from the time of Justinian have been uncovered this spring at Beth Alpha. A monograph is being prepared under the direction of Dr. Sukenik describing the discoveries, which have proved of the utmost historical interest. In addition to the gift from Temple Emanu-El, the Hebrew University has received funds for its archaeological work from the Institute of Jewish Religion in New York and the Hebrew Union College of Cincinnati.
The American Advisory Committee also announces that Mr. Mortimer L Schiff of New York has sent the School of Oriental Studies photographs of Moslem art objects in his private collection. In addition to 2500 photographs from the famous Creswell collection, photographs of Moslem art and art objects have been obtained from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Pennsylvania Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston, the Fogg Museum, Cambridge, the Art Institute, Chicago, and the Detroit Museum, Baron Rothschild has also presented the University with photographs of the Moslem art objects in his possession, and the University is in touch with the leading museums of Europe, from which it also expects to receive photographs. The collection now at the University represents one of the largest in the world.
Recent gifs received at the Hebrew University also include the library of the late Dr. Spivak of Denver. His bequest consists of 1600 books on medicine, Judaica, Hebraica and a collection on books in Yiddish. Dr. I. M. Rubinow, Executive Director of the Zionist Organization of America has sent seven cases of books to the Hebrew University Library, including some valuable pamphlets on the World War and a shipment of books in Russian.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.