A scholarship fund to render financial assistance to poor and worthy students in the Medical School of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, without distinction of sex, race or creed, was incorporated yesterday in New York City and with the Secretary of State at Albany under the name Benedict Weissman Foundation, Inc.
The foundation, formed for the purpose of becoming a philanthropic corporation, is to administer the estate of the late Dr. Benedict Weissman. New York physician, who died March 1, 1929. He resided at 61 McKibben Street, Brooklyn.
It was stated that the estate would have available for this purpose a sum of between $100,000 and $150,000, when the provisions of the will filed in Surrogates Court, Brooklyn, are complied with. Under these provisions, the estate consisting of real property has been divided into fifteen parts, the income of each part to go to relatives of the late Dr. Weissman, nieces, nephews and cousins. On the death of the beneficiaries, the principal is to revert to the Benedict Weissman Foundation.
The Foundation is to have its offices in New York City and will be administered by five directors. James Marshall, Elisha M. Friedman, Dr. Emanuel Libman, A. Nye Van Vleck and Arthur J. Albert were named directors in the incorporation papers filed by Hill. Lockwood and Redfield, attorneys of 165 Broadway, New York.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.