The process of liquidating the Jewish religious institutions of learning in the Union of Socialist Soviet Republics continues through the persistent efforts of the Soviet authorities, instigated by the Jewish Communists.
The Yeshiva, Talmudic academy, of Sluzk, which existed until recently in a semi-official manner, has now been entirely liquidated and its building converted into a workmen’s club.
No arrests followed the liquidation. Simultaneously, two synagogues in Sluzk were converted into what was termed cultural Communist houses.
More synagogues were converted into clubs in Kazan, Yevpatoria, Umman, Kalinzi and other towns.
A fight for the confiscation of six synagogues is being carried on in Proskurov and in Cherson. The Communists demand the closing of these houses of worship because “boys with long earlocks and Zizith still sway, singnig over the old, mouldy Talmud books.”
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.