Some time ago a number of Egyptian Jews vacated a suburb named Kiriat Joseph, and a group of homeless residents took advantage of the opportunity to erect about 350 rough dwellings, a kindergarten, synagogue and council house.
The group includes Socialists, Revisionists, and others of varying political beliefs. They have attempted to popularize as the name of the community “Schunat Leo Motzkin.” Some have been calling it “Schunat Khap”, or grab-town.
A representative of the Egyptian owners of the land has recently arrived from Cairo to institute legal action against the settlers. The latter claim that the land shortage forced them to take temporary possession.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.