Completion of the $2,636,000 deficit campaign of the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies of New York was announced last night by Samuel D. Leidesdorf, president. This balances the 1935 budget of $4,050,000.
Federation agencies include seven hospitals and a number of asylums and social service agencies. Mr. Leidesdorf said a record had been set with 75,212 individual contributions. Felix M. Warburg, chairman of the board of trustees; Mrs. Sidney C. Borg, chairman of the women’s division and Waldemar Kops, chairman of the business men’s council paid tribute to the 4,000 volunteer workers.
Senator Robert Wagner of New York will speak on the relation of private philanthropy to social legislation at the twenty-sixth annual meeting of the Brooklyn Federation of Jewish Charities Sunday, it was announced by Dr. Joseph J. Schwartz, executive secretary.
The Brooklyn Federation Lawyers Club will observe “Bench Night” Jan. 30 at the Unity Club, Brooklyn in honor of Justice Mitchell May and Harry E. Lewis, recently reelected to the State Supreme Court, and Justice Francis G. Healey, who assumed his Supreme Court post Jan. 1.
More than 30,000 persons participated in activities of the Young Men’s Hebrew Association of Boro Park in 1935, according to the report of William Cohen, executive director, issued by the Brooklyn Federation. It was also announced than an effort will be made to enlist Greater New York in a campaign for liquidation a $53,000 deficit of the Brooklyn Hebrew Orphan Asylum with a charity ball April 4 at the Waldorf Astoria.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.