The entire Jewish population of Mariupol, which lies on the Sea of Azov, was massacred by the German soldiers during the occupation of that city, it is reported today in a despatch from the Southern front to the Red Star, official organ of the Red Army.
The report estimates that more than 9,000 were slaughtered. The Jews were ordered by the Nazis to leave town within 24 hours and take along food for three days. They were told that they would be sent to concentration camps. When they assembled at designated centers, the German officers took all their valuable “for safe keeping” and divided them into groups of 500. They were then driven outside the city limits where, after marching for several miles, all men, women and children were lined up and methodically mowed down by machine guns, the newspaper reported.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.