A three-day ceremony dedicating the newly-opened community center of this northernmost Jewish community in the world has concluded here. Situated just three degrees below the Arctic Circle, Trondheim now has a Jewish community of 120. There were 340 Jews living here before World War II, but the Nazis deported all of them during the occupation. Those now living here returned after the war.
The opening ceremony took place at a memorial to the Jews murdered by the Nazis, The new community center is built around the existing synagogue, which was rebuilt by the community itself after its occupation and partial destruction by the Nazis. Funds for the new center were made available by the Joint Distribution Committee with funds of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany. The center houses a Hebrew school for the community’s 35 children as well as meeting and recreation rooms.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.