The Abraham Mazer Building which will house the Institute of Jewish Studies on the campus of the Hebrew University here was dedicated last night, in conjunction with the opening of the Second World Congress on Jewish Studies. Except for the opening session, the congress meetings will be held in the Mazer Building.
Present at the dedicatory exercises were President Itzhak Ben Zvi and leading members of the government and Israel and foreign scholars. Joseph Mazer of New York represented his family, which contributed the funds for the building.
At the Congress’ opening session last night, Premier David Ben Gurion told the 500 delegates and guests that Jewry is greatly indebted to the flourishing Jewish communities of Islamic countries for its present cultural state. He expressed the opinion that immigrants from Arab countries would quickly integrate themselves culturally in Israel and speedily regain their prominence in Jewish studies.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.