The first unified community organization in Los Angeles Jewish history was in effect today, following approval of the merger uniting the Jewish Welfare Federation and the Los Angeles Jewish Community Council.
Approval by a two-thirds majority of the Federation at its 48th annual dinner meeting was the final step combining the two largest social welfare and philanthropic organizations in the 400,000-member Los Angeles Jewish community, second largest in the United States. The Federation was founded in 1911, and the Council in 1934.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.