Dr. George S. Wise, former chairman of the board of governors of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, and a well-known industrialist here, today contributed 400, 000 pesos ($33, 000) for the construction of a new Jewish school building in Mexico City for indigent Jewish children. An American, now living here, Dr. Wise was also formerly chairman of the board of The Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
It was also announced here today that 300, 000 pesos ($25, 000) has been contributed by the central committee of the Jewish community of Mexico toward a fund being raised in this country for the construction of a hospital in an impoverished village, Ixtapan de la Sal, which has had no medical facilities until now.
The hospital building fund campaign is headed by Senora Eva Samano de Lopez Mateos, wife of the President of Mexico. The President acknowledged the Jewish community’s contribution, terming it “a very beautiful gift. “
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.