Property containing land and buildings to house a Liberal synagogue in the State of Israel has been purchased in Jerusalem by the World Union for Progressive Judaism, it was announced here today. This represents the first permanent site for a Reform house of worship in Israel.
The property will serve one of three Progressive congregations in Israel. It will also serve as offices for the World Union. Others are located in Herzlia and Nazareth. Until now all three congregations had been using rented facilities. The announcement of the purchase was made by World Union president, Dr. Solomon B. Freehof of Pitsburgh, who hailed this as another step in “the vitalization of a new spiritual life in Israel.”
The new property was purchased from the Israeli Government at a cost of $70, 000. The land encompasses 19, 000 square meters and includes three stone buildings built 27 years ago. The new synagogue site was made possible through the donation of a member of a Reform temple in the greater New York City area who wishes to remain anonymous.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.