Abe S. Kay, a leading philanthropist, who was active locally and nationally in the United Jewish Appeal, and in other Jewish causes, died here today of a heart attack. He was 64 years old.
A major land developer and builder in Maryland and the District of Columbia area, he was devoted to Zionism and served as honorary chairman of the Washington Committee for Israel bonds and as general chairman of the United Jewish Appeal of Greater Washington.
He was chairman of the group which furnished the funds for the purchase of the historic refugee ship, Exodus. He aided in the expansion and modernization of the Israel Embassy building in Washington. He served as president of the Abe S.Kay Foundation, Inc., a convalescent and rehabilitation center at Nahariya for Israeli military veterans.
In 1956, Mr. Kay was honored by the Washington Jewish community as “Man of the Year.” High tribute was paid to him by Israel Premier Ben-Gurion and Ambassador Abba Eban. He was active in the support of the Weizmann Institute, Hebrew University, Technion, and numerous other causes. Mr. Kay’s most recent activity involved the founding of the first interfaith chapel at American University in the District of Columbia.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.