The remains of Vladimir Jabotinsky, brought to Israel from the United States, were finally laid to rest atop Mount Herzl here today, after most solemn ceremonies in which many of Mr. Jabotinsky’s comrades Joined leaders of the Israel Government in paying respects to the memory of the founder and leader of Revisionist Zionism.
As the bier bearing the Jabotinsky remains were placed in Independence Square here, after being brought from Tel Aviv, President Zalman Shazar was first to pass by the coffin. Many thousands of Israelis lined the streets of the city as the procession started from Independence Square toward Mount Herzl. A guard of honor surrounded the coffin. The guard included Justice Itzhak Olshin, president of Israel’s Supreme Court, who had been a sergeant in the Jewish Legion, serving with Jabotinsky.
Many thousands of the spectators were turned away when the cortege reached Mount Herzl, only about 2,000 being permitted to participate in the final rites. Acting Prime Minister Abba Eban led the official Governmental party, followed by members of the Cabinet, Parliament, the Supreme Court and Rabbi Aryeh Levin, known during the final Mandate period as “the prisoners’ rabbi.” The pallbearers were leading members of the Herut Party.
Members of Israel’s defense forces presented arms as the coffin was lowered. President Shazar placed the first shovel full of soil atop the coffin. A cantor chanted the Kaddish, with the entire group of dignitaries repeating the prayer, after which the Kaddish was recited again, this time by Prof. Eri Jabotinsky, son of the Revisionist leader.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.