Archive

Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

News Brief

July 22, 2005
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date
Advertisement

Law-enforcement authorities in Rome banned a demonstration by right-wingers demanding that convicted Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke be pardoned. “It would have represented an intolerable affront to the Jewish community, to all the city and to its memory,” Rome Mayor Walter Veltroni said of the demonstration, which had been planned for Friday. But the demonstration’s far-right organizers said they would defy the ban and stage some sort of low-key rally. Priebke, 91, is serving a life sentence for his part in the 1944 massacre of 335 Romans at the Ardeatine Caves outside the city. Some 75 of the victims were Jews.

Recommended from JTA

Advertisement