Hezbollah played down speculation that a new war with Israel is imminent.
Sheik Naim Kassem, deputy chief of the Lebanese militia, said Sunday that he
does not think Israeli forces are ready for a repeat of last year’s war. “I
don’t think we can expect an Israeli attack imminently,” Kassem told the Spanish newspaper El-Mundo. “Its army is still shaken
by the defeat it suffered, But we are not asleep. Our military capacity is
Asked about the nuclear
program of Iran, Hezbollah’s sponsor, Kassem predicted a U.S. military
intervention. “Judging by the attitude we see in the Americans and how they are
preparing themselves in the area, I believe an attack is probable, but I
don’t think Israel will take part. It doesn’t have the capacity,” he said.