A quarry believed to have supplied building blocks for the Second Temple was unearthed in Jerusalem.
The ancient quarry, replete with iron tools and other relics, was discovered in the northern Jerusalem district of Ramat Shlomo during infrastructure work for a new school, Israel’s Antiquities Authority announced Sunday.
According to the authority, the site shows evidence of having produced the giant blocks, some 24 feet long, used by King Herod for the Second Temple in the year 1 BCE.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.