(JTA) — Israel’s army apologized for killing a civilian in his bed during a raid.
Troops shot Amr Qawasme on Jan. 6 in his Hebron home during a raid aimed at re-arresting six suspected terrorists who had been released the day before by the Palestinian Authority.
Qawasme, 65, lived a floor above the intended target, Wael Mahmoud Said Bitar, the army said.
Bitar, who was implicated in a deadly suicide bombing attack in Dimona in 2008, was arrested during the raid.
Haaretz on Jan. 6 quoted the army as saying it "regretted" Qawasme’s killing.