A statement issued here by the Soviet Union Information Bureau declares: “The first Jewish administrative body ever assembled in Russian or Ukrainian territory was organized late in March as the first Congress of Soviets of the newly created Cherson Jewish Area in the Ukraine. The area includes six Jewish village soviets. The Jewish population of the area is 27,000.
“Most of the Jewish settlers have been established on the land during the past two years, with the help of American funds donated by the Joint Distribution Committee and allotments from the Soviet Government. They have 220,000 acres of land given by the Ukrainian Soviet Government.
“The new Jewish regional government has its headquarters in the Seyde-Menukhe colony, famed for its fruit ##rchards, which has a population of 3,000. In this colony have already been established several Jewish schools, an agricultural credit society and a hospital.”
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.