A synagogue near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem’s Muslim Quarter was reopened.
The Ohel Yitzhak Synagogue was abandoned in 1938 by a group of fervently Orthodox, or haredi, Jews called the Shomrei Hachomot, or Guardians of the Walls, in the face of Arab violence. It is also known as the Ungarin Shul since it was founded by Hungarian Jews in 1904, according to the Jerusalem Post.
American philanthropists Irving and Cherna Moskowitz bought the property rights to the synagogue, which is located about 100 yards from the Temple Mount, and funded the refurbishing.
The Temple Mount, home also to the Dome of the Rock mosque, has been at the center of tension between Jews and Arabs, particularly in the past two decades.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.