A Federal Appeals Court opened the way yesterday for an American Nazi Party rally in a racially tense Chicago neighborhood this Sunday which is expected to draw thousands of anti-Nazi protestors. The court rejected a request from the Chicago Park District to stay a lower court order that nullified a $60,000 insurance bond which the Park District had required the Nazis to post before it would issue a permit.
Frank Collin, head of the Nazi gang said they would hold their rally in Marquette Park, a district in southwest Chicago that is largely Black. Attorneys for the Park District said the city would appeal the latest ruling to the Supreme Court by tomorrow.
The Nazis called off a projected march in the heavily Jewish populated Chicago suburb of Skokie which had been scheduled to take place June 25, after winning the right to hold a rally in Chicago. Less than a dozen Nazis appeared in uniform in downtown Chicago on June 25, protected by some 900 police. They gave the “sieg heil” salute and were rushed off by the police after thousands of anti Nazis pelted them with debris. Counter-demonstrations by scores of Jewish and non-Jewish groups in Skokie were called off when the Nazis, at the last minute, changed their plans.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.