Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Group Aiding Foreign-born Broadens Scope

June 13, 1940
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

The Foreign Language Information Service, outgrowth of work undertaken by the Government Committee on Public Information during the last war, has changed its name to the Common Council for American Unity, as part of a broadened program for creating unity and better understanding among the American people and overcoming intolerance because of foreign origin, race of nationality, Executive Director Read Lewis announced today.

The Council will have a 24-member board of directors, a committee of sponsors and a large national committee including representatives of various sections of the country and racial and ethnic groups. A general membership will also be enrolled. The Council will publish a quarterly called Common Ground with Louis Adamic as editor.

Recommended from JTA